Sunday, November 20, 2011

Figure This! On the 12th+11th+10th Day of Christmas

On the first day of Christmas, my true love sends to me a partridge in a pear tree. On the 2nd day, my love sends two turtle doves and a partridge in pear tree. On the 3rd day, three french hens, two turtle doves, and a partridge in pear tree. This pattern continues for nine more days. The remaining gifts, in order of appearance, include colly birds, gold rings, geese, swans, maids, ladies, lords, pipers, and drummers. Figure this! After 12 days, which gift did my true love send the most?

Hint: How many of each gift did I receive on each day?
Get Started: Make a table to organize this information.


Answer in the comments!


1 comment:

  1. Solution: Use the pattern described in the challenge to complete the table of gifts received on each day. Then calculate the total number of each type of gift. The most numerous gift I received was are geese-a-laying and swans-a-swimming (42 each).

    Additional Challenge: What would happen if the
    order of the gifts in the challenge were reversed? In other words, suppose I receive received a drummer drumming on the first day, two pipers piping and a drummer drumming on the second day, and so on. Would your solution be the same?

    ReplyDelete