Monday, January 7, 2013

Best Salutorian Speech Ever

Andrés Bernardo 2010 Salutatorian Speech for Seminole Ridge Community High School

I’d like to begin by thanking my teachers, my friends, and my mother, who always reminded me that “Life goes on.”

left: Ralph Regis, right: Andres Bernardo
Photo credit: Robert Wenst, Historian, PBCCTM (Palm Beach County Council of Teachers of Mathematics)

Hey. For those of you who don’t know me, I’m Andy Bernardo, your salutatorian; nice to meet you. I’m supposed to come up here and make an epic, awe-inspiring speech; something that will give you the urge to jump up and start high-fiving everyone. But I’m not going to quote from someone like a great world leader, or Dr. Seuss. I’ll quote something else.

The album The Dark Side of the Moon, by Pink Floyd - one of the best-selling rock albums of all time - starts with these lyrics:



Breathe, breathe in the air
Don’t be afraid to care
Leave, but don’t leave me
Look around and choose your own ground


I ask each one of you to take these words to heart. Go through life at your own pace, enjoy your time here on Earth, and appreciate all the simple things - breathe in the air.

Live with care and compassion. Love your fellow man and respect not just your own life, but all forms of it - don’t be afraid to care.

Travel the world, experience everything you wish to experience, but also remember where your home is, and who is there waiting for you - leave, but don’t leave me.

And finally, I ask that you all take your respective destinies in your own hands. Seize control of fate, and don’t let fate control you. Look around, and choose your own ground.

Seniors, after all this - after this ceremony that celebrates 13 unforgiving, torturous years of fun and learning - you’ll have an entire lifetime waiting for you. I won’t lie and say your life will be perfect, but it will be as amazing and wonderful as you yourself create it to be. Just remember, every once in a while, to relax, maybe listen to some good music, and breathe.

Once again, congratulations, Seminole Ridge Class of 2010!

No comments:

Post a Comment