Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Always do the knight thing.

Congratulations to SECME Captains Cindy Dosch and Brian Bartels on being accepted to the University of Central Florida!

Cindy Dosch
In the Spring 2010 issue of Hawk Talk, this what Cindy had to say in the SECME Spotlight:

"I’m really proud to be a participating member of SECME. I can honestly say that before this year, science and engineering were not as involved in my life as it is now. The theme, “Igniting Minds Through STEM Education”, is so much more than a simple phrase to me; it’s really a description of what happened to my mind this year because of SECME. I became inspired to become more involved within the science community and ultimately, my school. I can still remember going to the STEMinars, being chosen as leader of the banner project, and flying my first water bottle rocket with my team-one that set a new record of 11 seconds. I honestly like this club because of the fact it has so much to offer. Not only does one get to see the science in action and have the opportunity to truly comprehend it, it provides opportunity in other fields such as art. So join SECME, get smart, have fun! =D"
Brian Bartels
In the Fall 2010 issue of Hawk Talk, the SECME Spotlight shines on Brian:

"Learning about the natural world around me has always been a passion of mine. From a young age my mind was focused on the natural phenomena in my own backyard, particularly biology and chemistry. Iconic scientific figures such as Bill Nye and Jeff Corwin inspired me to continue my dreams of one day becoming a scientist so I could build a better tomorrow. As my grade level grew so did my interest in the sciences, classes in high school such as earth/space science, biology, and chemistry broadened my horizons on the intricacies and potential a scientific mind could provide. Programs such as the Biotechnology Academy made spectacular connections between science and technology while clubs like SECME blew my mind away with up-close and tangible experiments that not only provided a scientific lesson but a way to interact and have fun with my peers who share the same interests. There is nothing quite like the rush of seeing your own, handmade water bottle rocket shoot up into the blue sky and letting the beauty of science take its course. I plan on graduating from Seminole Ridge and going on to attend the University of Florida. While there I want to earn my B.S. in zoology and minor in Chemistry. After that I wish to go to UF’s Veterinary Medicine College where I would earn my D.M.V. (Doctorate of Veterinary Medicine) and open my own practice here in the state of Florida."