Thursday, April 23, 2009

SECME Spotlight: Kayleigh Previte

Editors Note - NO PHOTO AVAILABLEKayleigh Previte will be at the State Science and Engineering Fair of Florida April 15—17th. The 3-day display of exhibits prepared by aspiring scientists and engineers in grades 6-12 showcases some 900 student projects illustrating their research in competition for awards. Kayleigh’s investigation centered on “Does An Antibiotics Mechanism of Action Increase Effectiveness against E. Coli?” The E. Coli bacterium were genetically transformed to resist ampicillin (a semi-synthetic antibiotic). The results were that the E. coli not only showed resistance to ampicillin (as expected), but also to penicillin. And tetracycline! Thus it was determined that yes, antibiotics with entirely different action attacks can be effective against some types of bacteria. The Seminole SECME spotlight shines on her in the Spring 2009 issue of Hawk Talk

"I am honored and very grateful to be a member of Seminole Ridge SECME. This is my first year being involved in SECME. I joined at the advice of my physics teacher and had very little knowledge of what SECME was all about. I have a great passion for science and I have always wanted to pursue a career in the science research field. Since I joined SECME, I have become more knowledgeable of physics, technology and team leadership. I believe this experience has provided me with a competitive edge in comparison to other student college applicants.

"My main research interests are Neurobiology and Microbiology. It is my intention to continue these studies in college and postgraduate work. I feel very fortunate to have such a wonderful program like SECME available at our school.

"For the past two years I’ve worked on a Science Project focusing on antibiotic resistance. I have submitted this project to the Palm Beach County Science fair, both years, and received First place for my project each year.

"SECME is a supportive program at Seminole Ridge and is a great opportunity, I would advise anyone to join. SECME provides an excellent platform from which I can begin to pursue my life goals, those being a career in Science Research and the opportunity to utilize my gifts and passion toward discoveries having positive and practical application in our world.

"I’ve used the opportunity of having a SECME club at our school to its fullest and will bring this experience to each and every facet of my future research, my pursuit of knowledge, and my yearning to make a difference in our world.

No comments:

Post a Comment